Week of August 29
Week of September 6
Back to school night: Wednesday 6:30-8:30
1. acronym- ( abbrieviation SMS, NFL, ) 8. disease - sickness
2. prosperous - successful, rich 9. recuperate - to get better
3. exile- to be kicked out of your country. 10. coincidence - an unplanned occurence
4. posterior- your butt 11. discombobulated- confused,
5. haggle - to negociate, bargain 12. gape - to look at in wonder, awed
6. idolize - to worship as a god 13. obsolete - out of date, unusable
7. anonymous - unknown 14. unfortunate - unlucky
15. vacancy - an opening
Homework: Put words in ABC order
Use words in a sentence.
Top Secret Question of the Week...aka...TSQOW
List the top 10 medal winning countries at this year's summer Olympics in Brazil.
You can either email me your answers, or you can write it down on paper and turn it into the "Top Secret Q. of the Week" box in the classroom.
1. USA - 121 Total medals
Crossword Puzzle: Due by Friday
Brainpop: Antonyms, synonyms, and homonyms. Watch movie. Take classic quiz and email your results.
Reading: 75-150 pages per week or 10 - 20 pages per day. Keep track in your agenda.
Week of September 12
Same spelling/vocab words as last week. Quiz on Thursday
Membean. 45 minutes per week. Test on Friday
Brainpop: Watch 9/11 video and email your answers to email@example.com
Business letter to sports team: due by Friday
Crossword #4: Due by Friday
Top Secret Question of the Week: Approximately how many people died on 9/11?
Week of October 11
Membean: 45 min./week. Test this Friday
Brainpop: Theme Email results by Friday
TSQOW: This is the same question that appears on classroom google. docs.google.com/a/mdusd.net/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfRuiqOh5j5iVXI-gxIYtShfgbrG3GV_8ljA-VPlX-5vQjCYw/viewform
Countries and Caps quiz:
Week of October 17
1. initiate (to begin, propose) 9. vague (unclear, obscure)
2. befuddled (to confuse, baffle) 10. aversion (dislike)
3. standoffish (unfriendly, cold) 11. cringed (shrink in fear of s.t.)
4. prominent (well known) 12. sear (burn or char the surface)
5. scythe (long curved blade used to cut grass, grain, etc.)
6. solemnly (serious matter like a funeral) 13. adequate (enough)
7. incantation (magic, spell or charm) 14. prodigy ( extraordinary talent, especially
by a child)
8. euphoria (extreme happiness, glee) 15. cajoling (persuade using peer pressure)
Crossword: Football: Due by Fri.
Business letter to sports team. Due by Friday
TSQOW: What is the origin of the Republican party elephant? Go to classroom google and submit using google forms.
Reading: 75-150 pg./week
Membean: 45 min./week.
Brainpop: Go to "Grammar" Pick a topic you are not sure about.
Look up the word acme. Does it make sense now?
Irony Video: Watch the video all the way through. Watch it a second time writing down your five favorites.
Week of October 31...Happy Halloween
If you have extra candy, donations are always accepted. It's a good way to reward kids who help me out after school with the D wing garden.
Business letters to radio stations due by Friday.
Brainpop: English.....Grammar.....Choose one of the topics under grammar.
TSQOW: Go to classroom google...Submit answer using google forms.
Week of November 14
Brainpop: Thanksgiving: email results
TSQOW: Make a "Top 10" list of interesting Thanksgiving Facts. Place it on a plain sheet of paper with images related to Thanksgiving. You can type it or draw.
Spelling Quiz on Friday.
Words in sentences and ABC order: due by Friday
I-ready: Minimum of 30 minutes.
Crossword: Children's Classics: due by Friday
Week of Novemeber 28
Spelling/Vocab: Words of the Fortnight (WOF)
1. Treacherous: dangerous 9. rancid: unpleasant smell/rotten
2. mischievous (sneaky) 10. compile: add up
3. spontaneous: unplanned 11. extracurricular: outside your regular routine.
4. inadmissible: not allowed 12. Reykjavik: Capital of Iceland
5. dermatologist: skin doctor 13. pursue: follow, chase
6. sarcastically: harsh comment 14. Scandinavian: People from Norway, Sweden
Finland, Iceland and Denmark.
7. Irony: Expect A and get B. 15. Mediterranean: Body of water betw. Europe and
8. ewe: (pronounced you) female sheep.
Put words in ABC order, and use them in sentences.
Membean: 45 min/ Test on Friday
Crossword: Fairy Tales
Brainpop: English....Grammar...You choose the topic and email your results.
Top Secret Q. of the Week: Write about your Thanksgiving meal. Who was there? What did you eat? What did you try that was different? What foods did you like? Hate? If you did not celebrate a Thanksgiving meal, think of a recent meal that reflects Calvin's actions. Go to classroom google to answer this question.
Week of December 5:
Tech Museum field trip on Thursday
WOF: Words of the Fortnight. ABC order and sentences.
Brainpop: Dialogue: email your answers.
Crossword: Geography of the Mid East.
Egypt Gods and Goddesses. Make a mini poster of two gods. One will be assigned, and the other is your choice. Use the link below to look up the information.
Week of December 12
WOF: Words of the Fortnight
1. tirade: angry speech 9. incarcerate: put in jail
2. absentminded: forgetful 10. relevant: important
3. arbitrary: random 11. cacophony: harsh/loud noise
4. loathed: hated 12. optimistic : look on the bright side
5. dysfunction: abnormal 13. pharaoh: Egyptian ruler
6. bittersweet: pleasant and painful. (a bittersweet memory)
7. labyrinth: maze 14. adversary: opponent, enemy
8. skirmish: fight 15. Alexandria: seaport in n. Egypt. Named after Alexander the Great.
Brainpop: Winter Holidays
Relative letter: Letter to a relative: Ask him/her 3 Q. 's of the Day, and three word puzzles from your agenda.
They can respond to :
Sequoia Middle School
265 Boyd Rd
Pl. Hill, CA 94523
TSQOW: This week Time Magazine issued its "Person of the Year" Who was Time Magazines "Person of the Year" the year you were born, and why did they win it?
Email your answer or put it in the box in the classroom.
Week of January 17
Min. Day on Friday, Jan 20
Membean: 45 min. Test this Friday
Crossword: Classic Couples
Write down two word puzzles. Use the "cool stuff" link at the top of this website.
TSQOW: Read the cartoon. What resolutions has the cat made for the new year?
Week of January 23
1. ambidextrous (use both hands well) 6. anagram : (rearrange mixed up letters..EUOAISQ=Sequoia
2. incognito (disguise) 7. amended (changed, like a law.)
3. guarantee (promise) 8. suave (smooth like James Bond)
4. apocalypse (worldwide destruction) 9. extrovert (outgoing, loquacious personality)
5. hampered (interfere with, hinder) 10 introvert (shy, taciturn)
11. cavalier (knight)
12. soprano (SATB)
13. ricochet (bounce back)
14. vociferous (loud, noisy)
15. ominous (threatening)
Brainpop: Religion Email results
TSQOW: The New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons will play in this years Super Bowl. Who played in last years Super Bowl, and what was the final score?
Business letter: Companies.
Country Report: Israel. Due Fri.
Week of January 30
Crossword: Civil Rights
TSQOW: In the animal kingdom, which ones are matriarchal (girls rule!!)?
Brainpop: English: Grammar: Free choice.
Black History Month mini posters. "Who Am I" Part 1 due Friday.
Membean: 45 min. Test on Friday
Spelling: ABC order 3x. and sentences.
Reading: Chapter book: 75 pages/week....10 pg/day.
Week of February 14
Spelling / Vocab: ABC order and sentences.
TSQOW: Explain Valentine's Day. (Five W's and H.) Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How.
Brainpop: Fredrick Douglas
Membean: 35 minutes. Quiz on Friday
Black History Month mini posters part 3. Due by Friday.
Crossword: First 100 Days of School
Week of February 21
1. erratic: abnormal 5. miscellaneous: odds and ends, no specific category.
2. fatigue: tired 6. antidote: remedy or cure for a poison
3. kleptomaniac urge to steal even though you can pay.
7. meticulous: extremely neat
4. clique: group 8. inheritance: $ or property you inherit from your family.
Business letter: Bay Area Companies
Brainpop: Civil Rights
Black History Month Talk Show. Pick one person from February 3. Be able to answer the "Who Am I" questions without notes.
TSQOW: A prodigy is a young person or child with extraordinary talents. Name five famous child prodigies.
Week of March 7
Sentences and ABC order. Test on Friday.
Crossword: Food Pyramid
Women's History Month: Did You Know???
1. I was born....
2. I died......or my age now.
3. I am from.....
4. My occupation/job was.....
5. I am famous for....
6. An interesting fact about ....
Brainpop: Women's Suffrage. Email your results. I think the email is working again, so check with me when you send it. I'll let you know.
TSQOW: Go to the "cool stuff" tab at the top of this webpage. Click on the :bambozzables" tab and write down two word puzzles on the back page of your agenda. Then, write them again on paper and put them in the Q. of the Week box .
Check out these Video Award Winning Word Contest. Which one is your favorite?
Thanks to Lyft for t-shirts, water bottles and cool pink cuddlestachs.