Read this Calvin and Hobbes cartoon. Are you a Calvin or a Susie? Or a combination of both?
Auto-biographical sketch: Final draft due by Friday. We will go over directions in class. Supplies: three ring binder with lined paper. Pencils...Highlighters. At least two different colors.
Week of August 28.
Business letter to your assigned country.
Crossword Puzzle #2: Due by Friday
Reading: 75-150 pages per week. Write down progress in your agenda.
1.Write each word in alphabetical order. 2. Write each word in a sentence, and star your best sentence. Due by Friday. Test on Friday.
Top Secret Question of the Week. How do hurricanes get their names? Hurricane Harvey brought lots and lots of rain to Texas. What will be the names of the next five hurricanes? Look for list of hurricane names for 2017.
Week of September 11
1. Put words in ABC order. 2. Make up sentences using the words.
Crossword: Due by Friday
Business letter to sports team due by Friday
Top Secret Q. of the Week: Watch Brainpop on 9/11. Email answers. Also, put your results in the q. of the week box.
Book Talks begin week of Sept. 18. Period 1,4,5: Edwin, Hailey, Elias, Cassidy, Marco B., and Julian Period 2,6,8. David, Nick, Katherine, Elias, Rex, Jahzara, and Arnav
* Put words in ABC order * Use words in sentences.
Top Secret Q. of the Week: What year did the Golden Gate Bridge and Oakland Bay Bridge first open, and what was the cost for cars to cross the two bridges? Email your answer, or place it in the Q. of the Week box in the classroom.
The Room was a Mess: Final draft turned in using Google classroom.
Business letters to television stations. Due by Friday.
Calendar mini report. Handout will be given out in class.
Reading: 75-150 pages per week. Must have post it notes in agenda with character trait and evidence to back up the claim.
Brainpop: Go to English....Grammar...Choose topic of your choice.
Pink Day at SMS .
Week of November 6
Permission slips for Wonder field trip due by Friday, Nov. 17. The cost is 6.00
Vocab/Spelling: Words in ABC order and sentences. Also: Go to GC to provide 10 of the 15 words in picture form.
Business letters to Radio stations: due by Thursday.
Crossword: Classic Couples: due Thurs.
Country Report: Iraq. Due by Thur.
Brainpop: English...Grammar...Pick topic you need help with. Email results.
Book Talks begin the week of Nov 13.
TSQOW: What is Veteran's Day? When did it start?
Video of the week. Go to GC.
Week of November 13:
Field Trip permission slips by Friday. $6.00
Spelling/Vocab Words: 1. eucalyptus: tree (Edward and Ursala, went to CALifornia, to visit Yosemite, in a PT cruiser, with US) 2. boycott: not use 3. preposterous: ridiculous 4. conceal: hide 5. glistening: shining 6. discreet: trusted 7. vengeance: revenge 8. epiphany: sudden understanding, an aha moment. 9. hectic: very very busy 10. majority: more than 1/2 11. continuously: never stops 12. momentum: propel 13. interrogation: question 14. assassination: kill a political leader 15. pseudonym: fake name
Membean: 45 min. Quiz on Friday
Reading: 75+ pages..
TSQOW: Make a top 10 list of interesting facts about Thanksgiving. You can turn it in on paper, or use gc to create a document or slide.
Week of December 11.
Vocab/Spelling words: Photo and definition for 10 of the 15 words of the fortnight.
Brainpop: Winter holidays: email results.
TSQOW: Five facts about the Suez Canal .
Business letters to radio stations. Due by Friday
Country report on Egypt: due by Friday.
Crossword: Famous Painters. Due Fri.
TSWeek of January 22:
i-Ready testing Monday and Tuesday.
Early dismissal on Friday.
Words of the Fortnight: Quiz Friday...Go to GC to complete 10/15 words using images and definitions .
Business letter to company: Due by Friday
Crossword : Basketball
TSQOW: In the animal kingdom, make a list of animals that are matriarchal ..(Girl's Rule.)
Brainpop: Mummies: Go to Brainpop.com and sign in. Do not use ed1stop. Take the Quiz, and the Newsela article.
How many DAYS old are you?
Week of February 5
Who Am I? mini posters: Part 1 due: Friday.
Narrative essay: Final draft: Turn in to GC by Wednesday.
Crossword: Black History Month. Due Fri.
Autism/Al Capone Does My Shirts report: Due Friday.
Brainpop: Tuskegee Airmen: Email Quiz results.
Pictionary/Definition for 10 of our 15 WOF.
TSQOW: In the animal kingdom, make a list of animals that are partriarchal. (Guy's Rule.)
Week of February 20.
Book Talks begin this week.
Olympic oral reports this week.
Black History Month "Who Am I?" mini reports: due Friday
Brainpop: Free choice: email results
TSQOW: Read this week's Calvin and Hobbes cartoon. How did Valentine's Day come about? Go to GC to submit your answer.
Definitions/Pictures for 10 of the 15 Words of the Fortnight.
Crossword: Teen Health Issues.
Check GC for additional assignments/announcements.
Week of February 25
WOF (Words of the Fortnight) 1. scapegoat- blaming s.o. else for a wrongdoing. 9. appalled- upset, dismayed 2. obstinate - stubborn 10. chronicle- a record of events 3. acquaintance - friend but not a close friend. 11. suffrage- right to vote 4. cavernous - deep dark tunnel or cave. 12. agnostic-unsure if god exists. 5. impulsive - quick action w/o a lot of thought. 6. tantrum- wild rage, temper 13. hypochondriac- overly concerned w/ ones health. 7. legacy - how you will be remembered. 14. mutiny- refusal to obey, riot 8. ambiguous-vague, unclear 15. pseudonym- fake or pen name.
Membean: 45 minutes.
Crossword: Physical Fitness
Brainpop: Holocaust: Email quiz results.
Book Talks: Last names: C-G Turn in using google classroom.
Business letters to Bay Area companies: Due by Fri.
Country Report: Israel: Due by Friday.
Week of March 5
Words of the Fortnight: Photo / definition: 10 of the 15 words on Google Classroom.
Crossword: Women's suffrage
Brainpop: Women's suffrage
Women's History Month "Did You Know" miniposters: Due Friday.
TSQOW: The Chinese are celebrating "The Year of the Dog." Under the Chinese zodiac, what animal were you born under? What are the characteristics of that animal? Does it fit your personality?
Non-fiction books: Keep up with your group. Minimum of four entries by this Friday. Brainpop: Type in "Women's History" into the search bar. Watch a movie on one of the women you wish to know more about.
Crossword: Women novelists
CG: Country of the Week: Ireland
GC: Click on the "Overlooked" link. Read about one of the women on this link. Turn in a slide or a document including three facts about the woman you read about. Due Fri.
Women's History Month: Part 2...mini posters...Did You Know??
Week of March 20
Women's History Month: Part 3. Turn in using GC.
Definitions/Photo for 10 of our 15 words.
Calendar Report: due Monday 3/26
Crossword: Women of Distinction
Top Secret Q. of the Week: 25 Maps that explain the world. Go to GC for link.
Book Talks: Per. 1,4,5: Salehi-Xue.....Per 2,6,8: Smith - Zarate
Brainpop: Women's History: Pick one from the list of topics.
Week of March 26: Report Cards go home on Thursday.
Words of the fortnight:
1. aspire dream of, hope for 9. proprietor: owner 2. fabricate: invent s.t. fake, falsify 10. inhospitable: rude , treat poorly 3. ransacked: robbed or looted . 11. mediocre: so-so, average 4. nonchalant: cool, casual 12. paraphernalia: things, stuff, school paraphernalia 5. erratic : unstable, unpredictable. 13. persevere: keep going, struggle on. 6. hindsight: wishing for a do over. 14. versatile: flexible, adaptable, all around 7. finite: limited amount of s.t. 15. hors d'oeuvres : appetizers, food starters. 8. oblivious… unaware
Spring break begins on Friday.
Crossword Puzzle: Places and Regions.
Business letter to college/university: due Thur. Brainpop: Free choice: email answers.
Belated congrats to Katie Austen and the Villanova Wildcats. Winners of the NCAA basketball tournament and more importantly the Snickers candy bars.
Words of the Fortnight:
1. itinerary - travel schedule 8. pugnacious-quick to argue, combative 2. Buddhism-Religion founded in India. 9. gloat - brag 3. condominiums-apts. people own. 10. grotesque - very ugly 4. nirvana- a state of perfect peace 11. frenzy - wild behavior 5. impromptu - spontaneous, 12. persnickety - fussy 6. clique - small group, in-crowd 13. obituary - death announcement usu. in newspaper. 7. replica - exact copy 14. unabashedly-w/o shame or embarrassment. 8. pugnacious - quick to argue, combative. 15. demeanor - outward behavior.
Crossword: Hispanic Heritage
Membean: 45 minutes
Brainpop: English....Famous Authors...Pick one and email quiz results.
TSQOW: Buddhism Top 10. Go to GC and create slide/slides.
Week of April 23.
WOF: Photos/Definitions due by Friday. Quiz Friday
Buddhism / Hinduism Venn diagram .
Argumentative essay: Final draft turned in using google docs.
Check CG for additional assignments
Brainpop: English....Grammar....choose a grammar subject you don't know much about. Email quiz results.
Reading: 75+ pages per week. Fourth quarter book talks will begin the week of May 7.
Thanks to Alexandra for cool swag from Adobe. Sunglasses, notebooks, and pens.
Week of April 30
1. impeccable (extremely neat) 9. seance (small group meeting for the purpose of communicating w/ the dead.) 2. inferno - fire ball , large heat source 10. Reykjavik-Cap. of Iceland 3. indignant (strong displeasure toward s.t.) 11. Devoted (to care greatly for s.o or s.t.) 4. hallucinate (see things that are not there) 12. truant ( skipping school illegally) 5. crucial (very important) 13. Albuquerque (city in New Mexico) 6. frugal (careful w/ money) 14. pulverize (demolish, crush completely) 7. coaxed (gentle persuasion) 15. hors d'oeuvres (party appetizers) 8. insignia (badge, logo)
Business letter to colleges. Due by Friday.
Crossword: Cooking. Due by Friday
Membean: 45 minutes: Quiz on Friday.
Shel Silverstein poem: Due Thurs/Fri/Mon.
Book Talks begin the week of May 7. Last names A-D.
TSQOW: Pick your three favorite analogies from the video on CG.
World Cup Flag, C&Caps quiz on Friday. First 16 countries: Apr. 23-26.
1. bewildered-confused, puzzled 8. nostalgic - thinking about the good old days 2. peculiar - odd, different 9. mayhem - rowdy disorder 3. exasperated - annoyed, irritated 10. pompous- arrogant, boastful "Trunchbull" 4. Poseidon-Greek god of the sea. 11. melancholy - sad, blue 5. blissful- extremely happy 12. bouquet - bunch of flowers 6. eloquent - wonderful public speaker. 13. remorse- regret, pity 7. sweltering - extremely hot and humid 14. Ulysses/Odysseus: The hero in The Odyssey. 15. hypocrite - s.o. who says one thing but does another. Ex. (I always do my homework, but they never do.)
Limerick: Write your own limerick. Include a title and an image. (GC)
TSQOW: Country of the Week. Go to GC.
Business letter to college: Fri.
Membean: 45 Minutes: Quiz Fri.
Greek God Top 10 list on google slides. Due May 24.
Week of May 21
Open House: Wednesday. 6:30-8:00
Photo/Definition: All 15 Words of the Fortnight.
TSQOW: What was inside Pandora's Box?
Crossword: China: due by Fri.
Book Talks : H-M
Greek Gods/Goddesses Top 10: Due by Friday
Biography Book Report: Due June 1.
Brainpop: Athens. Email quiz results.
Week of May 30. The Penultimate week.
1. acupuncture - using needles to cure pain 8. nullify - cancel 2. reprieve- cancel a punishment 9. inferring- to guess, imply 3. reciprocate - to give in return. 10. acquittal- found not guilty, released 4. philanthropy- giving money for a good cause. 11. hors d'oeuvres-appetizer 5. scorched-burned 12. cavalier-knight 6. omnivore - s.o. who eats meats and vegetables 7. apathetic- showing little emotion 13. anthology - collection of stories in one book. 14. discombobulated- confused 15. ambrosia - food of the gods.
TSQOW: Scroll through the Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes cartoons. Which one is your favorite and why?
Business letter: Your choice. Write down the place you are writing to on the roster sheet on the white board. Make sure no one else is writing to that place also. Membean: 45 minutes: Quiz Fri.
CG: Map of the world showing the average age of people living in individual countries. Tell me what countries, by continent, have the oldest and youngest. Example: North America: Canada oldest: 41...Mexico youngest: 28. Due Fri.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.